Jasmine story of life


I was so deep and immersed in worship that I didn’t notice that my parent came in, they must have been wondering what was wrong with me, because I was all sad and depressed yesterday, and now am worshipping God, they left when they saw that I didn't even notice them. I kept singing one of my favorite worship songs that says ”you are the love of my life, you are the hope that I cling too, you mean more than this world to me, I wont change you for silver or gold…” after the worship I prayed that God will give me the strength that I need to survive. “I have no power of my own oh lord, I can’t make it by myself Father please help me” I cried. I felt this peace I can’t describe after my worship and prayer and I was so sure that God is telling me to trust him and keep this baby, but then I remembered that they were twins in the dream,” oh lord don’t let them be twins o, one is just ok” I said.
Have lost appetite for a while now with everything that happened, but now am so hungry I can finish two plates of Amala and Ewedu with Gbegiri and Ogunfe. I love this combination so much, though I don’t have a favorite food. I made my way to the kitchen to check if there is anything close to amala to eat, but I only found vegetable salad in the fridge. So I ate that first  in other to gain strength to prepare something more solid to eat. As I was “devouring" the salad, I heard some footsteps, "that must be my mum" i thought. And there she was at the entrance of the kitchen staring at the way I was eating.
“Are you this hungry, you need to see how you are eating Jasmine, I wish I can record you without knowing, you are eating like a hungry goat” she said laughing
“Oh mum, I am so hungry don’t mind me” I said laughing as I continue to shove the salad down my throat
“Well you need to eat dear, especially with the baby you are carrying,you can starve yourself but not the baby, but since she solely depends on the food yourself take in, then you must eat well cos both of you need to be healthy and strong” she said
“when you are done eating, come upstairs to your dads room we want to talk to you” she added
“Daddy is around” I asked surprised
“I thought he should be at work already, what is he still doing at home” I added
“you are really not on this planet again Jasmine. Today is Saturday, so no work today dear” she said laughing
“OMG! I have totally lost track of the time and day, don’t mind me, I will come upstairs when am done” I replied
“Your dad and I was even in your room early this morning, but you were so immersed in worship to even notice” she added
“Really, I have no idea you guys came, I was really immersed ” I said laughing
She went back upstairs, and I also followed suit after I finished eating. It was as if I haven’t eaten for 7days, I feel so refreshed now.
“Ko ko ko” I knocked at the door
“come in” I heard a voice instruct from inside.
“I hope your stomach is now full and you are refreshed” my mum asked
“yes mum, I feel better” I said
“ Come and sit beside me” my dad instructed
He was sitting on the bed with my mum, so I sat in between the two, and they both wrapped their hands around my neck.
“It is so unfortunate that this incident is happening to you my damsel, but I want to assure you that we are here for you. I have given it a deep thought, that was what I was thinking about through out the night, and your mum and I also prayed about it, and we have decided that we will advice you to keep the baby, we will support you in everyway if you decide to keep it. The decision is now in your court, and we will love you still no matter what you decide to do.” He explained
“Yes dear, though the best is to keep this baby, this baby is innocent and should be given a chance to survive. There is a reason why God allowed him to be conceived even in this type of situation . We cant question him he knows the best for us. Man plans but God makes the final decision. I named you Jasmine because I want you to be just like a flower, beautiful and pure, I want your life to produce a sweet aroma that will impact the world” she explained crying when it got to that part when she was explaining the meaning of my name and why she named me Jasmine.
I never knew the meaning of the name Jasmine until now, I always thought it is only names that featured in the bible that have important meanings attached to it. “But how can my life still produce a sweet scent to the world, when my purity has been defiled. I hope my life is not too messed up to be used by God ”   I thought as I cried too.
“ I don’t know I  how will survive this challenge, but am convinced that God wants me to keep this baby” I said. They were both surprised at my decision, and I narrated the dream I had the previous night to them, and the message from the dream was crystal clear to them too. They hugged me and assured me that I am not alone.
“But I pray the twins part of that dream doesn’t come to pass o, one is more than a enough for us” my dad said jokingly as I left for my room.
My younger brother must have been wondering what was happening in the house since yesterday, he must be completely lost about everything happening, so I decided to check on him. He is a lover of music especially the Christian music, there is no time you will enter his room that he wont be on a headset or earpiece listening to music. Just as expected, he was on headset, sitting on a chair and backing the door to his room, he didn’t notice that someone was inside, so I startled him”
“OMG! You almost killed me Jasmine, why did you startle me like that” he shouted grasping for breath
“ you better stop this your bad habit of yours, always plugging in your earpiece all the time. That is how someone will enter to harm you and you wont even notice, or someone will be calling for help and you won't ear till the person giveup the ghost” I said
“God forbid, that can never happen joor, it’s like you have been watching horror movies recently this one you are just thinking about horrible things” he said
“am seriously serious Joel, I  need to caution you and you need to reduce the habit,it will be a little better if it is even on speaker” I said as I remove his earpiece from the phone. The song he was listening to was just what I need to hear at the moment. The part I heard there said “Along life's road. There will be sunshine and rain Roses and thorns, laughter and pain….and the chorus says “You will never walk alone As long as you have faith Jesus will be right beside you all the way”
“This song is so on point, who sang it” I asked
“I think it is Josh Groban” he ansered
“What is the title, I need to get my phone so you can transfer it to me” I said
“The title is you will never walk alone” he replied
“Isn’t that Barcelona's slogan or motto or what do guys you call it” I asked
“Yes. so you too know football clubs and their slang” he asked teasing me
“Of course, do you think it is only engineering that I know” I replied
I know you must have been worried and concerned about what happened yesterday and you might be lost wondering what happen, I …
“You don’t need to explain anything sis, have overheard everything. I can’t pretend to know how you feel because I don’t, but all I can say is that all will be well” he said as he hugged me.

What else can be better than you having God by your side and your family to support you too, I feel so loved.

“Thanks so much baby bro, you have really grown up o, the baby of yesterday that use to cry up and down is the one that is now consoling me” I said as I teased him
“Continue teasing me o, I wont give you this song again if you don’t stop now” he said
“I wont stop, if you don’t give me the song I will just go download it since I know the title and the singer” I said laughing.
I went back to my room, to rest for a while, I couldn’t stop thinking about the dream, everytime I do I get goosebumps, thanks God he  showed me that revelation, because I consider it a revelation. And it was an assurance that God was still interested in me, he can still make something out of my broken life, I don’t know what tomorrow will be like, but I have a God and father who knows and I will just put my trust in him.
I played that song my brother gave me, and I just set my phone on automatic replay. Few minutes after, my dad came in
“Jasmine, I forgot to ask you about that boy that raped you, what is his full name and his address” he asked
“What do you need that for Dad” I asked curiously
“I need to give his details to the police, he cant just go scot-free, animals like him should be behind the bars where they belong” he said angrily
“ Dad I don’t think that will be necessarily, it is just going to create unnecessary commotion and make everybody know what happened to me” I explained
“ Are you suggesting that I should just let him go, just like that. Do you know how many people he has done this too and how many he will still rape in future? Maybe if he have been reported before maybe he would be in the prison and this wouldn’t have happened to you. Am not doing this for you alone, but am doing it for other naïve girls out there that may fall into his trap again. It is our responsibility to report a criminal” he said
“ Don’t you think it is too late, and there is no evidence to prove it either, this case is hopeless dad. And you know Nigerian police, they are as good as nothing. No investigation whatsoever will be done” I explained
“Irrespective of that, we still need to give it a try” he said
“Dad please lets not do it, please for me. The news will spread faster than it should, and am not ready to be a laughing stock” I added
“I don’t agree with you Jasmine, it is important we do it” he replied
Just as I was about to continue begging him not to report to the police, my phone rang and guess who….

To be continued
Who do you think the caller is?
Should her dad report to the police or not?

                          EPISODE 13
Why is this guy calling me again, especially now. I picked the call and before I could say hello, my dad snatched the phone from me.
“Is it that stupid boy that is calling you” he asked
I was just standing there looking like a robot, not saying a word
“Answer my question” my dad shouted
“Yes” I replied quickly.
“Why are you calling my daughter you animal, this is the last time you will take advantage of an innocent girl and go without punishment? I will make it one of my mission to make sure you end up in prison for at least 5years you bastard” my dad shouted on Samuel on the phone. He didn’t even wait for a reply, he just ended the call and left my room angrily.
In as much as I want justice to prevail, I think peace is better, and peace I won’t have if Daddy is bent on reporting this case, “what can I do to stop dad” I asked myself. As I was thinking about the next line of action to take, my mum also came in. “I hope she isn’t here to also suggest that we report to the police” I thought.
“I forgot to mention it the other time, I think it is necessary we go back to the hospital to register for antenatal and the likes” she said
“Hospital again! Must we do checkups you know I hate hospitals mum” I said childishly
“I know you do, but don’t go for yourself, go for the baby. It is very important” she said
“And I want to ask if you will like to continue your education here, I was thinking that it will be good if you travel out of the country and change your environment “she said
“I don’t think it’s necessary to leave the country right now, I will lose the 4 years have spent in school and will have to start afresh. Moreover this semester will not be in school, but will be in an industry or company where I will be doing my 6month industrial training, I consider that a change of environment.” I explained
“Okay, if that is what you want. But you can also do your Industrial training outside the country can’t you? Your uncle in Canada can find a position for you in his telecommunication firm, you will still be with families there.” She added
“Well…am not sure if I will be allowed to do my I.T outside the country, but I will ask when I go to school next week” I replied.
“Alright then, don’t forget first thing on Monday morning you are going to the hospital” she said as she leaves my room.
I picked up my tab to check if there is any movie that I can watch to relax my mind, but there was none. And then I remembered that I downloaded some Mount Zion movies on YouTube about a week ago. I clicked on the first one on the list and I started watching. The title of the movie is “the costly game”. It is a very interesting movie with lots of lesson to learn especially for sisters. the movie featured a young promising Christian sister  on campus who played a costly game with God in her marital choice and she ended up losing the game to the devil, and  paid dearly for her pride and cunningness.  I slept off immediately after watching the movie with my phone still playing “you will never walk alone” underground. The movie had some similarity with what is happening to me ,only that I wasn’t playing cunning games in my own case, I was just a victim of a bad circumstances.
We went to church the next day and it was a glorious service, the center of the message was trusting God even when we are in the storm, we studied Luke8:22-25 and Matthew 14:22-33. It was as if the message was just for me alone, I have been reading that passages in the bible before, but I saw it in a different light today. “thank you lord for your word that came expressly to me today” I said as we rounded up the service

Monday is here, and my mum and I went to the hospital has discussed, it was Dr. Chris that attended to me again today.
“Am glad you decided to keep the baby, it is the best decision ever, and I pray the lord Jesus will give you the grace to continue to stand strong till the end.” He said
An ultrasound was done, and I was just praying that the baby will just be one and not two, the result came out and my prayers was answered, I will be having just one baby. The sex of the baby can’t be determined yet the doctor said when I asked about the sex of the baby. But in all he said the baby is growing fine and I was instructed to eat healthy, take lots of water and vegetables, and abstain from chunks food. Am not addicted to chunks food before so that won’t be a problem. The doctor was really nice and professional at the same time, he gave me his card to call him in case of any question or emergency. The checkup was better than I expected, my mum went to her office, while I took a bike to school. I and Kemi promised to meet in school today, we wanted to check if we have been posted to any place for our SIWES. I haven’t told her that I was pregnant yet, I planned to tell her today. We went to the industrial training unit and our names was not on the list yet, we asked and they said another list will be out in a week time. So we left and went to a restaurant nearby. We ordered for food and we chat as we ate.
“How have you been doing Jasmine, you are looking fresher and fatter, is it mummy’s food that is performing wonders like this” she asked jokingly .
I haven’t really noticed that am fatter though, but Kemi is an expert in noticing that, how will I drop the bomb that am pregnant now, or should I just keep quiet I thought.
“What is it you are thinking about, am asking you a question here” she added
“Oh! Sorry dear, am doing fine o, but I haven’t noticed that am fatter though, but you know sleeping at home for almost 2weeks without doing any tangible thing can make you fat. I can’t wait to start  I.T at least that will keep me busy” I said
“And am pregnant too” I added mumbling
“Huh what did you just say, preg…what. Stop joking around jare” she said
“Were you not the one that predicted it in the first place, have you forgotten so quick. Your prediction has been fulfilled” I said laughing
“Stop this joke jare, it is too expensive” she said sternly
“Am serious, it is no joke, is it because I am laughing. I am seriously pregnant with twins” I said
“Twins!” she exclaimed
“Just joking it is only one baby” I replied
She couldn’t believe me especially with the way I was laughing as I was saying it, until I showed her the antenatal card with my name on it, the Jasmine of Yesterday will not be announcing  an unwanted pregnancy laughing like this, I guess God is increasing my confidence, I hope it will last forever.
“I can’t believe this” she said as she checked the hospital card
“When did this happen, and you didn’t bother to tell me “she asked
“It was discovered last week, and I don’t want to tell you over the phone, it will just make you unnecessarily worried” I replied
“So how are you holding up, and mum and dad what did they say?” she asked curiously
“everything was a disaster at first, but Jesus as calmed the storm and everything is fine now, and have decided to keep the baby” I said
“Is Samuel aware of this pregnancy?” he asked
“Yes o …he called a day after we discovered the pregnancy and it was my dad that picked the call, you won’t believe what happened. My dad lambasted him on the phone, he didn’t even give him the chance to say a word. And he hasn’t dared call after that. He must be scared to the bone I guess” I explained as we both laughed about it.
“I know you will be fine dear, there is a reason for everything. though I can’t say I know the reason why God gave you this baby but I know he will be with you” she said as she held my palm and comforted me
“Thanks so much for the support” I said
“You are welcome, I have a gist for you Jasmine, guess what?” she asked excitedly
“You know am poor at guessing, so just hit the bull on the head” I replied
“Ok ok…Bro Joseph proposed to me last week.” She said
“Which Bro Joseph” I asked trying to count the Bro Joseph’s that I know
“Bro Joseph the independence hall representative in our fellowship” she replied
“Same Bro Joseph in Pharmacy department” I asked to be sure
“Yes exactly” she replied
“But you guys have been friends for sometimes now, and have been asking you what is going on between you two and you said you are just friends. I hope you don’t have feelings for him already? “I asked
“Not reaaally” she said
“This your ‘not really’ is not a firm one, I hope your feelings will not cloud your judgment” I said
“So what did you tell him when he proposed?” I asked
“I told him I will pray about it, that’s all” she replied
“And I hope you are really praying about it, make sure you seek for godly counsel and inform your parent and spiritual leaders too. And never visit him alone learn from my mistake o” I said
We departed and I went home straight…
To be continue
      EPISODE 14
   It’s been Three months now after I discovered that I was pregnant, and it hasn’t been easy unless I want to deceive myself. The morning sickness have reduced, but I always have abdominal pain now, I called Dr. Chris and he said it is normal and I should visit the nearest hospital to me for proper checkups. Which of course I didn’t bother to go, because mummy is not here to force me to the hospital. My Dad reported the rape case to the police as he said, I tried to stop him but I couldn’t. But as expected, nothing much was done, they arrested him and released him later that day, Samuel denied ever meeting me before. I wasn’t surprised atall, I already knew the kind of personal he was, my dad made sure he put his words in writing and he signed that he never raped me and therefore the baby am carrying is not his. My dad did this so that in case he wants to change his mind in the future about the baby or he wants to claim custody of the child, this written contract will be used against him.
I was posted to Schlumberger for my I.T and Kemi was posted to Baker Hughes, we wanted to be in the same place but it didn’t happen like we wanted, but it was for the best. I was posted offshore for my first 3 months and I was really exposed to a lot of practical skills on the rig, but after 3months because of my condition which is now so obvious, I was sent back to the office, and all I do now is office work. Accommodation was available for us and they also pay us a token allowance. Everyone keeps wondering why am pregnant, some who can’t just mind there business ask me if am married, and I will just smile and say no, but unfortunately for me a few of my faculty mates are also in Schlumberger and they have spread the rumors like fire. Almost everyone in school is aware that I am pregnant now, sometimes it makes me feel depressed and alone, I can’t just wait for it to be over, I keep counting down to my delivery day.
On this particular day, I woke feeling so refreshed, I had my quiet time and headed for my office, we normally resume by 7.30am and just before I could enter my office where myself and other interns use, I overheard them talking about me
“ehn hen, Tobi come here you and Jasmine are from the same school now, so gist us what kind of person is she? Is she a ‘runs girl’ or what” Ada asked. Ada is a student from Unilag, and she is this outspoken person that doesn’t know how to mind her business
“hun Ada you too like akproko , always poking into others business, well for your information, Jasmine is not a ‘runs girl’, though we weren’t close in school, we just say hi to eachother from afar because we are not in the same department, am in mechanical engineering and she is in electrical engineering, but the little I know and have heard about her is that she is a lovely and easy going girl, always smiling and she is very intelligent too. Am so surprised to see her with a protruding tummy too, and am sure she isn’t married yet” Tobi replied
“It may be one of the guys like you that deceived her and got her pregnant and later dumped her, I really pity that girl” Cynthia cuts in. Cynthia is also an intern from University of Benin, studying chemical engineering.
“Hey! abeg o, am not one of those guys that sleeps around with girls in the name of love, I believe in abstinence” Tobi replied
“Abstinence my foot, which guy does not like sex in this generation or you think I don’t see how you use to look at Alice whenever we are in the dining hall having lunch Mr. Abstinence” Ada teased
“But I pity Jasmine too, that girl too fine pass all this things she is going through, I wonder why she didn’t abort the pregnancy in the first place. If na me o, I will just flush the baby sharp sharp” Ada added
“You think everyone Is like you, don’t you know that abortion is  murder. And you can lose your life through it too” Cynthia cuts in
“Abeg leave that one Cynthia, na the doctor do the abortion no bi me nau” Ada replied
“Both the doctor and the person aborting and the boyfriend that supported it are all guilty of murderer” Tobi cuts in
“Are you God? why you dey judge?” Ada asked defensively
I didn’t know when tears started rolling down my face, how can people just sit down and start debating on a matter that doesn’t concern you. People keep assuming things that doesn’t exit. “Me runs girl” I thought, how can they even think am a runs girl. I couldn’t enter the office, I just turned back and went to the toilet, I washed the tears off my face, sat on the WC for like 10 minutes thinking. I left after a while and headed for the office, I met Ada on my way, and she was all nice and cozy, greeting me with a smile, I can’t believe this is the same person talking behind my back that am a runs girl. I wasn’t myself throughout the day, I wish there was someone I could pour my mind too and who can encourage me, but I found known. It was time for lunch and though the last thing I want to do is eat, because I have lost my appetite since morning, but I remember the doctor’s words and my mum’s word too that always says “eat well for the baby”, so I went to the dining hall hoping to just eat some vegetable salad and sandwich or any other light food they have on the menu and get out. It was just as I hoped for, I ordered for sandwich, with some vegetable salad and I sat at a corner where people don’t like sitting, because the last thing I want to do is talk or greet anyone, I just want to eat my food in peace. And then I noticed that someone has been staring at me for almost 5 minutes now, I didn’t want to look up and see the person’s face so I just focused on my food. I was about finishing the food when I noticed that the person is coming closer to me.
“Who could this person be, and why is he coming closer” I thought
‘Jasmine, is it you” the voice said
I looked up, and it was a young tall dark and handsome guy, he looks so fresh. The face looks familiar but I can’t place where have seen him before
“Who is asking” I asked with a straight face
“You look beautiful as ever” he said
“ It’s me Dave, your childhood friend and neighbor” he replied smiling
“Dave Olateju!, are you for real” I asked
I can’t believe this is Dave, we used to live in the same neighborhood at Bodija, when we were still very young, our house was just opposite each other and we attended the same school Bodija international School. We were inseparable then and our parent used to tease us by calling us husband and wife, and we will get angry whenever they do. He was so short then, how did he grow so tall and handsome too, I can’t believe this. His family moved to London when he was in Jss1 that was like 10 years ago and we have lost contact since then.
“Yes it is me for real, what are you doing here?” he asked
“I should ask you the same thing, what are you doing here?, aren’t you supposed to be in London?” I asked too
“I came to Nigeria for my internship, am going to be spending 6months. Am a petroleum engineering student at Imperial College in London, and have always wanted to come and visit Nigeria and this internship was just a good opportunity to do so” he replied
“So and you, what are you doing here” he asked
“am also here for my internship, this is my 3rd month though , and I have 3months left, am studying electrical engineering at University of Ibadan too” I replied
“Wow so you really studied engineering, just like you said years back that you will be an engineer. That is so good. I can’t believe that I am seeing you, I was thinking about you when I was planning to come to Nigeria, but I never thought it will happen easily, I don’t have your contact or address but God answered my prayers” he said
He couldn’t stop staring at my stomach, a lot must be running through his mind, and if it is  the Dave that I use to know, am sure he will not let the sun set today before he ask me about it
“So how is mum and dad and your siblings” he asked
“They are all doing fine” I replied
“And your family too, did they come with you?” I asked
“No they didn’t, I am the only one who came” he replied
“Hope everyone is fine over there too, Daniel, Dorcas and Daniella” I asked
‘Wow you still remember all my sibling name” he asked with surprise
“Of course I remember “ I said
“They are all fine, though Daniella as gone to be with the lord” he said
“What! When? How?” I asked
“You know she has sickle cell, she died about 8 years ago during one of her crisis” he explained
“arrwwh, am so sorry for your loss” I said
“It’s a long time already, and we have another Daniella in the family again too” he said
“Another Daniella, how? “
“My parent adopted her, she is an orphan from North Korean, and so we named her Daniella, though her name used to be Kim Geum Ji. She was 7years when we adopted her 3years ago”
“Wow that is so nice, can I see her picture” I asked
He showed me her picture, and she looks so adorable and cute. But I can’t believe my Daniella is dead, she was my friend too, we were age mates and we used to play together when they were still in Nigeria. We talked about old times and I couldn’t stop laughing when he reminded me of how we used to act dramas and our we use mimic our mum and dad, and they caught us one day mimicking them, we ran as fast as we could, thinking we would get the beating of our lifes, but surprisingly they just laughed about it and called us to come and do the mimics again.
“So are you married Jasmine” he asked
“No am not “I replied with low voice, I know why he was asking, it’s obvious.
“I can’t see a ring though, but I can see you are pregnant” he added
“Can we talk about something else” I said trying to change the topic.
“No you need to answer my question Jasmine, I know we are just meeting after a longtime, but we are not strangers to each other, you can tell me anything” he said
“Not today Dave, maybe some other time. Today is not a good day to talk about it, lets just continue with catching up first” I replied
“Am still the old me Jasmine, I won’t leave you alone today until you tell me exactly what happened, I don’t take no for an answer” he said
And as he said, he kept pestering me to talk, we left the dining hall and he was walking me down to my office, and then he brought up the question again
“Jasmine, tell me what happened, because I can’t just figure it out, I know you are not the kind of girl that will get pregnant before getting married, and I know your parent trained you in the way of the lord too, so explain to me” he asked
“Ok ok…. Where should I start the story from” I asked
“From the beginning, I have all the time to hear you” he replied
“It’s a long story, I can’t say it while standing, unless you want me to collapse beside you” I said jokingly
“So I promise to tell you next time we see…ok” I added
“As if I have a choice... So where is your office?” he asked
I pointed to the building and his office is also in the same building. We entered the building and discovered that his office is just few meters away from mine.
“This is just perfect Jasmine. Your office is a stone throw from mine, so I will always see you” he said with excitement
We parted and went to our different office, the day ended so fast and before I could dodge Dave and go to my room, he was already in my office offering to walk me to my room.
“So tell me now, what happened to you while am away, who did this to you” he asked pointing at my tummy….
To be continued
© Princess Janet 2017

Comments